Les Deux Alpes , France
What are your plans for the summer? Wanna board or ski on one of the highest-altitude ski areas in the world? Don’t miss the opportunity to go crazy at an altitude of 2800m to 3600 m, on the largest skiable glacier in Europe. Les Deux Alpes is GirleCamps’ favourite spot for those who think summer is not an excuse to stop riding! Hope you are one of them.
In the summer GirlieCamps organizes the ultimate park riding and skiing adventure for all you girls who can’t stop thinking of snow just because the calender says July. In the morning we’re playing around in the parks and in the afternoon, when the snow becomes too buttery, we’ll try skateboarding, play golf (or try to) and just gaze out in the sun…so chances are that you’ll still come home with that perfect tan!
► THE RESORT
At the heart of the Oisans region lies Les Deux Alpes, a vast outdoor adventure playground for mountain lovers. It offers an amazing array of more than 80 activities, but of course, the main reason for coming to Les Deux Alpes is it’s great riding.
It is France’s second oldest ski resort, and one of the most popular as well. Flanked by the Oisans massif in the west and the Ecrins national park in the east, Les Deux Alpes will lead you into a fascinating world of peaks and summits, rock and ice. It offers approximately 220km of pisted runs and 2300 meters of vertical drop. You can read more about the resort here.
The name the “two Alps” do not refer to the two mountains that the resort encompasses but rather the two villages of Venosc and Mont De Lans that sit at either end of the north-south plateau.
The bustling central square of Mont de Lans, and its main street give the impression of a busy town rather than an alpine village. But don’t worry; it is easy to escape into the beauty of the mountains.
For lovers of good food, Les Deux Alpes offers a Michelin-starred restaurant at the Chalet Mounier hotel, and traditional restaurants offering typical local cuisine. In the evening, the resort’s 25 bars and pubs offer a warm and fun atmosphere and three clubs keep the village vibrating for all you the night owls.
- Nearest city: Grenoble
- Highest peak: 3600m
- Village altitude: 1400m
- Skiable area: 430 hectares of marked pistes
- Lift system: 51 ( 1 funicular, 3 cable cars, 3 gondolas, 23 chair lifts, 21 surface lifts)
- Ski pistes: 100 (21 green, 47 blue, 19 red & 13 black )
► SNOW PARKS
Les Deux Alpes also boasts about having one of the most extensive and revered snowparks in Europe, with a halfpipe, multiple kickers, rails and other fun thing to play with.
Because of its high altitude these parks are open months after most other parks have closed! You can read more about the parks here.
THE PARK AREA
* Axe pipe: This zone allows beginners to initiated riders to take on rather “technical” ramps like hips, gaps, or quarters over more than 800 m before entering the pipe !
* Slopestyle: One of the most popular disciplines for experienced to expert riders. Les Deux Alpes Slopestyle is made of a step-up gap, a 20 m long Big Air, 2 tables with 3 kickers from 8 to 15 m long, several handrails like “kink”, “straight” or “C” rails and a huge hip!
* Half-pipe: The pipe meets federation standards and is 120 m long with a 4,5 m radius. For seasoned riders and freestyle experts only.
* L’envers: The most beautiful playground in the Alps. The one and only with handrails, rainbow, curb, kicks, 2 Big Air tamps and a cool zone with BBQ, music, open DJ turntable, and some deckchairs to catch your breath.
* Snowskate zone: A 100% specific, fully equipped zone.
* The gully 3,100 m: A 150 m long adventure at 35°! Twisting and turning or going straight ahead, but get down that hill!
* The canyons 3,000 m: Ski around the banked curves, wind down the hill, and conquer these 2 fun runs.
* The ledge 2,800 m: From 1 to 5 m high, choose your challenge and learn to master this natural and safe obstacle!
* The waterfalls 2,800 m: Alone or with a friend, have a safe flight while improving your technique. What’s the secret? Building up speed!
* The Boardercross 2,600 m: Moved to the Toura piste and completely redesigned, the new Boardercross run offers a 185 m drop over more than 1,000 m.
Even though Les Deux Alpes offers incredible free-riding during the winter season, the summer is not the best time for it.The snow conditions are much better fitted for the slopes or park riding.
► THE BIKEPARK
Les 2 Alpes resort is also the meeting point of European Downhill Mountain Bike lovers! It bikepark and events are more than impressive. This way, in summer, the resort get frequentation and is very lively!
- More than 100 km of trails
- A drop in altitude from 3,200m to 720 m in the valley: 2,480m vertical to play with !
- 1 elite level downhill trail
- 21 all levels downhill trails
- 3 green, 7 blue, 7 red and 4 black
- 5 cross country routes.
- 2 skill centers at the top of Valle Blanche and Cretes areas.
- 8 lifts adapted to MTBr
- 4 washing stations : Vallée Blanche, Diable, Venosc and at the foot of Jandri Express
- 1 Slopestyle and one Dual Slalom at the foot of the slopes: generally dedicated to events, some zones will be open to the public
- Crankworx: world known MTB events, main competitions in Whistler, CA
- Mondial du VTT : 3000 participants, various Downhill Mountain Bike treks
- Mountain of hell : Downhill MTB competition, from the glacier
► HOW TO GET THERE
You can find driving instructions for Les Deux Alpes here.
From Grenoble station the driving distance is 85km. A shuttle bus is available. For more information call +33 476 80 51 22. For train tickets and time tables check out the link http://www.sncf.com/ .
You can go to the following airports to get to Les Deux Alpes: